Participant Registration is now open!
There are 5 sessions available this year, with a limit of 48 Scout participants per session. Slots fill up quickly, so register as soon as possible. Access registration links here.
What is Big Horn National Youth Leadership Training?
National Youth Leadership Training (NYLT) is an exciting, action-packed program designed for councils to provide youth members with leadership skills and experience they can use in their home units and in other situations demanding leadership of self and others.
The Big Horn NYLT Course is leadership training experience sponsored by the Denver Area Council and held annually at Tahosa Alpine Base near Ward, Colorado. The training is conducted by highly qualified youth staff under the supervision of adult advisors.
The course models a month in the life of a unit. The training consists of six days of Scout activities culminating in an overnight outpost camp.
Download the Big Horn NYLT flyer
For more information please contact or email Collette Kinnard, 303.570.9372 or Greg Luer, 303.904.9077.
Who Should Attend Big Horn NYLT?
Any Scout wishing to perfect their leadership skills. These will help in troop and crew life situations.
Are There Opportunities to Serve on Staff?
Yes! Here's a link for those who would like to serve on staff: Big Horn NYLT Staff
In order to attend an NYLT course, a youth must have the following qualifications by the beginning of the course:
- Must be 13 years of age and have not reached their 18th birthday
- Must be at least a First Class Scout
- Must have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills for Troops
- Must have the recommendation of their Scoutmaster
- Must be at least 14 years old
- Must have completed Crew Officers Orientation
- Must have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills for Crews or Introduction to Leadership Skills for Ships
- Must have the recommendation of the Crew Advisor
- Note: It is advised that Venturer Scout or Sea Scout over the age of 18 should consider taking the Wood Badge Leadership Course in place of Big Horn NYLT.
- He or she must agree to spend the entire scheduled week participating in the Big Horn National Youth Leadership Training Course.
- He or she should have held a leadership position in his or her unit, if possible, or be considering a position in the near future.
- The Scout should be an experienced camper with good camping, hiking and outdoor cooking skills.
Required Parent/Participant Orientation Dates (Need to attend one)
- Big Horn Orientation - Tuesday, April 26, 2016; 6:30pm - 9:30pm
- Big Horn Orientation - Tuesday, May 10, 2016; 6:30pm - 9:30pm
- Big Horn Orientation - Saturday, June 4, 2016; 9:00am - 12:00pm
All orientation meetings will be held at the Denver Area Council, 10455 W 6th Avenue, Denver, CO 80215.
One week in the beautiful mountains at Tahosa Alpine Base is $295.00 per registrant.
Health Forms - Do Not Mail Them To The Council Office
Health forms are a requirement for Big Horn participants and all staff members. Please download the new all-in-one 2016 NYLT Health Form Packet (consisting of BSA Health Form Parts A, B, and C, the Colorado Parent Authorization Form, and the OTC Med Form). Please mail all completed health forms to the Registrar associated with each week.
Dates, Scoutmasters and Registrars for Big Horn NYLT 2016
There will be five sessions of Big Horn NYLT in 2016 - three in June and two in July. Participant registration is now open! Select a session below.
|Week 1: Sunday, June 12 - Saturday, June 18, 2016
2875 S Wabash Cir
|Week 2:Sunday, June 19 - Saturday, June 25, 2016
9003 W Union Ave
|Week 3: Sunday, June 26 - Saturday, July 2, 2016
6482 S Beech Cir #437
|Week 4: Sunday, July 3 - Saturday July 9, 2016
1388 Meyerwood Lane
Highlands Ranch 80129
|Week 5: Sunday, July 10 - Saturday, July 16, 2016
10905 W 39th Place